Wednesday, May 9, 2012

New Look 6000!!!

Back in January when I first started this blog, I surfed the Internets for sewing blog inspiration, and it wasn't long before I stumbled across the New Look 6000 Frock Fest. As I drooled over the creations that the participants came up with, I decided I had to get my hands on the pattern and give it a go. So every time I went to Spotlight (huge Australian craft chain store, which I visit almost weekly) I looked at the pattern, but stupidly wouldn't buy it until it was on sale. The pattern was only $10.95 but I have this annoying inability to pay full price for anything. So I waited and waited until they had a half price sale on all New Look patterns...which ended up being four months from when I first started looking at it! Dumb, huh?! But not so dumb, because I had a $10 voucher, so I got two New Look patterns for 95 cents! Aw yeeh!

A few weeks ago I decided to have a crack at it. I originally wanted to make the longer sleeved one in a wintery fabric, but decided to test out the pattern on some cheap fabric, in the short sleeved version as it's still quite warm here. I chose some unknown fabric from my stash- it is quite heavy and is possibly a cotton drill.

I cut out the size 8 and the first time I tried it on it had the usual result- too loose around the bust, too tight around the waist and hips. I'm really clueless and lazy when it comes to altering patterns, so I just put the dress on inside out, pinched out and pinned the areas that were too big, marked where it needed to be let out on the waist and hips, then got out my seam ripper. I made the waist darts 1cm higher and increased the side seam by half a centimetre, tapering it out to the waist where I decreased it by the same amount. I tried it on and it fit like a glove.


I'm pretty happy with it. It's not the kind of dress I would wear on a daily basis- to me the shape is more 'work-like'. I did wear it to work the day after I finished it and it looked great.

Now I want to make a lined one....but I have never made a lined dress before and am positive I will balls it up in my usual way. Can anyone link me to a tute?



I love the little sleeves!

Look- a lapped zipper!


Don't know why it's saggy at the back there...


Pattern used: New Look 6000
Does it look like the drawing on the pattern/ envelope?
Yes
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, very.

Fabrics and notions
Some kind of drilly fabric. 
22 inch zip and a hook and eye.
 
Pattern alterations or any design changes
Just the usual alterations for my silly body.

Did you use any new skills?
Yes, two! I've never been able to do a lapped zipper properly, but it's easy when you just follow the instructions!
Also, I sewed a blind hem!!! Again, I've tried before but gave up after about 2 seconds. It's actually really easy. (Note: Of course, I did it on the machine...I HATE hand sewing....)

Cost
Pattern: $4.47
Fabric: $4/m...I used just under 2m, so I'm guessing $7
Zipper: $1.50
Thread: Stash
Hook and eye: Stash
Total: $13 something...it's late and I can't be bothered doing maths....

Wearability factor
I will wear it to work or maybe a fancy lunch...not sure if I will ever wear it as a day dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment