Monday, May 21, 2012

New Look 6808



I actually made this top a couple of months ago, but I wasn't happy with the fit. Three minutes at the sewing machine today to add 1.5cm to the waist darts worked like magic and now I'm proud enough to take photos of it.


I really liked the look of this pattern when I spotted it in Spotlight. I had some really cool quilter's cotton in my stash and thought it would suit the view D top perfectly.

It was very easy to sew up, but I didn't alter the pattern at all so of course the fit was terrible. Usual problem- too big around the bust, too tight around the waist and hips. I fixed up the tightness issue but thought I could get away with the poor fit around the bust due to the busy-ness of the print. I wore it once and did not like it one bit- apart from the cool fabric.


 


The top has a side zipper opening, which I've never seen before. It was a bit tricky putting in the zipper in the side seams, especially after I did my alteration and made the seam even curvier, but I got there in the end.




My favourite element of the design is the super adorable collar and bow. 

Pattern used: New Look 6808

Fabrics and notions 
Quilter's cotton
16" zipper
Some pink cotton from my stash for the sleeve lining

 
Pattern alterations or any design changes
Added 1.5cm to the waist darts. Increased side seams at the waist and hips.

Did you use any new skills?  
I think this was actually my first attempt at a lapped zipper. And the first time I've made a bow!
Cost
Pattern: $4.47
Fabric: $4/m...I used just under 2m, so I'm guessing $7
Zipper: $1.50
Thread: Stash
Hook and eye: Stash
Total: an amount that I can't be bothered figuring out

Wearability factor
Very high now that it actually fits properly!

No comments:

Post a Comment