Thursday, January 24, 2013

A quick one

I haven't blogged in a while but I have been sewing!

My band had a gig on what was probably the hottest day of the year (many of you have probably heard of the hot weather we've been having Down Under this summer) and it was OUTDOORS! I knew that our regular uniform of long black pants, black shirt and orange tie would be unbearable for a 3-hour gig, so a week before the gig we all had a chat and decided to wear black pants/ skirts with a solid-coloured top.
Of course, I have many a solid-colour top in my wardrobe, but I wanted to make something sleeveless so I didn't end up with massive, unattractive sweat stains on the sleeves.

So I used some lovely teal gorgette from my stash and whipped up another KwikSew 3668.




I haven't taken any proper photos of it yet, but here is an action shot from the gig- which was super fun, despite the heat. We gained a bunch of new fans.





I've also been maintaining my resolution of sewing for other people. My daughter Elizabeth turns 3 in a few weeks and I'm making her a softie. I let her look through this book and choose whichever softie she wanted.


 

She chose this unicorn/ pegasus. Unigus? Pegacorn? 


 

So far, mine is looking underwhelming. I've never made a proper sofite before. Did I mention that I HATE hand sewing? Gah, sewing on the horn and ear was a nightmare! I say 'ear', singular, because I made two ears then promptly lost one! 

 

I just need to make and put on the other ear, wings, mane and tail. I think she'll like it, no matter how demented it looks.

Oh, and you may notice that the one in the book has hand-embroidered eyes. I think I may have mentioned that I hate hand sewing, so I bought some sew-on googly eyes.

 









No comments:

Post a Comment