Finally...I've made a Cambie! I must be one of the last sewists in the world to make this wonderful dress. I received the pattern for my birthday in May and decided to give it a crack.
I used some gingham that my sister-in-law gave me. I had 3 metres of it, and although I've never worn gingham and didn't think it would suit me, I used it anyway, thinking that it would be good fabric to test out the pattern. (Funnily enough, yesterday I bought a blue gingham Sourpuss blouse...now I own two country bumpkin items!)
I cut a size 2. Once I'd sewn up the bodice, I basted the zipper on to check the fit and discovered two things- the waist was far too tight, and the bodice was too long by 1 to 2 inches. I must have a very short torso! I didn't want to start all over again, but I found that when I folded up the waistband it fit fine. So I unpicked the waistband and just sewed the bodice to the skirt.
That was the only change I made- the bodice fit me really well and I didn't even need to bring in the darts. Oh, and I did a centred zipper as I didn't have any long invisible ones. Oh, and I only lined the bodice, not the skirt too as indicated on the pattern. Think that's it! Oh, I also left out the pockets!
|Nope, did not even bother with pattern matching.|
I'm very happy with the way it turned out. I wasn't sure about all the fabric in the skirt- especially in the back. I thought it would be super foofy and make me look silly but I like it. I forgot to understitch the lining and I didn't like the way it was rolling out so I topstitched all the top of the bodice.
I will wear this a lot- it's lovely and light and floaty.
I'm going to include more pics of me wearing my creations for the times when I don't have any new ones to post about. Here's me going to a Christmas party last Saturday wearing My Dream Dress, which everyone raved about at the party.