Wednesday, January 14, 2015

One Thimble e-magazine

Late last year, I discovered a wonderful newish Australian publication- One Thimble sewing magazine. I'm not normally a fan of digital magazines, but Australia pretty much has no decent sewing magazines and I thought I'd buy one issue to see what I thought. The verdict? I'm hooked!

One Thimble has lots of great articles aimed at both the home sewist and the small sewing business owner. There are hints and tips as well. The best art is the PDF patterns that come with each issue. The patterns come from a variety of Australian indie pattern designers.




Most of the patterns are for children's clothing, apparel and toys. I don't sew a lot for my children, so this is a good excuse for me to make more things for them!




The first pattern I decided to try was the Mem Rose skirt pattern, by Ainslee Fox Boutique Patterns. It features a shaped front yoke, side ties, and back elastic.




This is for my friend's daughter's birthday. She's not really into typical girly patterns or colours and I thought this collection of fabrics would be just perfect. Unfortunately, I only had a fat quarter of each of these fabrics, so I had to do some maths to get the two 90cm wide panels for the skirt sections. I used a combination of 30cm and 15cm wide panels of each different fabric.




This skirt was a joy to sew and I had no dramas with it at all. I can't wait to make one for my daughter.
I also made a little yoyo to go on a coordinating t shirt, plus a bow hair tie. I think it's a super cute little ensemble!




Also in this issue were these cute softies. They are aimed at children (as in, for children to sew), but I think my kids a still a bit little at four and six years old and with no prior sewing experience.




They cut out their own pattern pieces, and helped me pin the pieces to the fabric and did some fabric cutting. They did some sewing but only on the ears, arms and legs- the minky fabric they chose is really tricky to sew with. I had to put my walking foot on to stop the layers moving around.




The kids had fun stuffing all the bits with hobby fill. They are completely in love with the finished result- Elizabeth has been carrying hers around with her everywhere she goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment