Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Canberra clothes

So in my last post I mentioned that I went to our nation's capital for 5 days at the very beginning of October. I go down every 2 years for a mega geeky flute festival, and it's always cold. I wanted to whip up some dresses that I could layer up with a cardigan and tights.

Spotlight had 30% off their scuba and ponte knits, so I bought enough printed scuba to make a shift dress, and ponte to make a skater dress. 



I didn't actually have a pattern for a knit shift dress, just thinking that I could make this one in my normal size. It didn't quite work that way, of course, and I had to take about an inch off each side seam. The neckband didn't quite work either, so I made a quick modification. I really love this dress as it is quite casual but can be dressed up too. And I can wear so many colours with it!





The skater dress (Lady Skater by Kitschy Koo) is one I've made before, and it should have taken a very short time, but both my my machines were having complete spack attacks so I fought with them for a while. In fact, the sewing on both dresses is extremely dodgy, but it's more noticeable on the mustard one. Look at this mess...





I lack the know-how to fix overlocker issues, and really wanted to get these dresses done in time, so I just went, "Stuff it!" and left them looking shitty on the inside. The skater dress did turn out super cute, though. 



I've just sent both of my machines off to be serviced, and can't wait to get them back so I can start on my Christmas sewing! While they are being serviced, I'm cutting out all of my projects so that they are ready to go once I am on my summer holidays UNTIL FEBRUARY NEXT YEAR Y'ALL!!!! Which is a mere two weeks away!! (just a bit excited...)

So far I've cut out:
- a dress for my daughter
- a pair of shorts for my daughter
- a hat for my daughter
- a blouse for my mother in law
- a dress for myself.

I still need to cut some yoga pants and matching headband for my sister, and need to make something for the kids' teachers. I hope I can get it all done in time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment